I don’t think that the 4th grade could have a fuller week if we tried. What a week! We spent most of the week preparing for our poetry slam, which was quite the success! This was one of my favorite units to teach as Lucy Calkin’s can be pretty prescribed at times and Spoken Word had little restrictions. It was great to edit and conference with the students so much and see their work transform.
Let’s finish this next week before spring break strong!
For your information:
Student-led conferences are scheduled for the afternoon of Thursday 7 April, and for Friday 8 April. Unlike the conferences at the beginning of the school year, these are led entirely by your child who will explain highlights of their learning in Trimester 2, challenges they’ve encountered and how they are tackling those, and their goals for the last trimester.
Because of this format, I can accommodate up to five students and their parents at a time since the conferences can happen simultaneously. Since many parents seem to prefer the three Thursday afternoon time slots (3:10 PM, 4:10 PM, or 5:10 PM), that means I can accommodate everyone on Thursday if need be. If for some reason the PowerSchool site doesn’t allow you to sign up for a Thursday slot, please email me ASAP and I’ll make it work! Of course there are Friday slots available too (8:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM).
For your information:
- If you have 3 or more children at SAS, you can sign up on PowerSchool beginning this Monday 21 March at 8:00 AM.
- Everyone else can sign up beginning Wednesday 23 March at 8:00 AM.
- Each time slot is an hour. That includes a 30-minute student-led conference in my classroom, and 30 minutes to visit your child’s other teachers (art, PE, music, language, counselor, etc.)
- 21 March, Monday: Report Cards Live on PowerSchool
- 23 March, Monday: Conference sign-ups open to all until 3PM on 4 April
- 23 March, Wednesday:“iDreamofmusic” ES school concert, 10:00 AM, Pudong Auditorium, 10:00am, no tickets are necessary. Parents, just come right in and take any available seat. Performers should wear their house (puma, falcon, dolphin, bear) shirts with normal pants and normal shoes. No special outfits are necessary.
- 25 March, Friday: Hairspray Rehearsal
- 26 March – 4 April: Spring Break
- 4 April, Monday: No School; Tomb Sweeping Day
- 5 April, Tuesday: School resumes
- 7 April, Thursday: Student-led Conferences (School in session)
- 8 April, Friday: Student-led Conferences (No school)
- 11 April, Monday: Hairspray Rehearsal
- 14 April, Thursday: Hairspray Rehearsal
- 14 April, Thursday: Help raise money for diabetes research and have fun! Great prizes for students who raise the most money and for those who swim the most laps! Space is limited….sign up here ASAP:https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TCK5Y5K
- 18 and 19 April, Monday and Tuesday: DRESS REHEARSALS MANDATORY for Hairspray
- 18 April, Monday: Earth Week begins.
- 19 April, Tuesday: Be a “tree hugger!” With any donation you can add your name, (or a friends) to a leaf on our tree in the Cafeteria and help SAS plant trees in Inner Mongolia
- 20 April, Wednesday: Mini plants for sale during lunch; supplies are limited!
- 21 and 22 April, Thursday and Friday: Hairspray Show Time! 7pm start. Students prep after school.
- 22 April, Friday: Date with Dad. More information to follow.
Monday began with an assembly featuring Kwame Alexander!
We were on the edge of our seats!
AND we got to see Todd Parr that day!
We spent a great deal of time last week prepping for our poetry slam.
All students and teachers painted a portrait in Todd Parr style. This is me!
Our fantastic poetry slam!
Spring has sprung! Jing’an Sculpture Park.
Field Trip time!