Dear ES Parents: November 2015
In the month of November and December the counseling team will be covering the topic of Personal Safety; this is an important life skill, giving children information relevant to them, teaching and practicing skills to handle the information, and building their self-esteem so that they feel confident to use those skills. Our safety lessons will begin on November 20th. Our lessons will consist of the following:
• Counselors will help the students define “private body parts”. These are the parts of the body covered by their bathing suits.
• Counselors will teach the students the three touching rules. It is never all right for someone to touch your private body parts except to keep you clean and healthy.
- If someone breaks the touching rule, say “No!” and run away.
Tell a trusted adult. If that adult doesn’t help you, keep telling until you get the help you need and deserve.
• Counselors will inform the students that it is never their fault if someone else touches their private body parts.
We thank you for your support in teaching your child about personal safety. Please take time to open up conversation around this important topic with your children. Here are some conversation starters that you might find helpful:
• Let your child hear the safety rules from you as well as from the counselors.
• Please give your children the actual vocabulary for their private body parts as this helps them better understand the rules.
• Please ask your child to practice saying “No!” with you.
• Help your child to identify trusted adults in his/her life.
Here are some book titles that you may wish to read with your child:
• The Trouble With Secrets by Karen Johnson
• The Right Touch by Sandy Kleven
• It’s My Body by Lory Freeman
• Protect Your Child From Sexual Abuse: A Parent’s Guide by Jane Hart-Rossi
• My Body Is Private by Linda Walvoord Girard
• Mia’s Secret by Peter Ledwon and Marilyn Mets
The following are some websites, which offer resources and have more information about personal safety:
Once again we thank you for your continued support of the elementary guidance program. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your child’s grade level counselor.
ES Puxi Counselors:
Amanda Fischer: PK-1 grades
Joseph Hill: 2-3 grades
Faith Ro: 4-5 grades