Shanghai American School takes pride in being a leader in the field of educational innovations.
The teachers and administrators at SAS have made efforts to infuse Instructional Technology tools into many aspects of our curriculum. Additionally, SAS has had many staff members recognized as instructional technology experts for their excellent use of instructional technology. These “experts” provide a valuable resource for students and staff as we continue to explore and develop new ways to challenge our students.
Bring Your Own Macintosh (BYOM)
As part of their normal set of supplies students enrolled in grade 6-12 at Shanghai American School will be required to bring an Apple MacBook computer that meets SAS minimum requirements for both hardware and software. Students that already using a MacBook at SAS may continue to use them as long as they meet the minimum requirements for hardware and software.
Students in the BYOM program will receive a network account to access the school’s wireless network from any location on the campus once the school approves new computers. The account will allow students to use school printers, share network resources, utilize on-line storage, and communicate with others.
In order to meet SAS BYOM program requirements all students in grades 6-12 must have the following:
- A MacBook Computer
Any model (less than 4 years old), with the current operating system or the most recent previous version (currently Mac OS X Version 10.9.5 or later).
Student computers must have the following software:
- MS Office 2011 for Mac
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 13
- iLife 11
- iWork Pages
- iWork Keynote
- An external 500GB (or larger) USB hard disk drive (HDD) for the purpose of backups.
Additionally, students must:
- Maintain the computer in proper operating condition.
- Please note: Students with computers that have a current AppleCare warranty may access the services in the Apple Service Centers for warranty-covered repairs without charge. The Apple Service Center can provide additional services and repairs; however, students will be financially responsible for services and repairs not covered by the Apple Care warranty.
Management, printing, upgrades
- ALL students and families will be required to sign an acceptable use policy document that will allow the school to maintain an “administrative” account on the student’s computer and install management software that will facilitate installation of software, school-owned software upgrades (e.g. SmartMusic), and network management. This process must be completed before the computer will be permitted to access the SAS networks, including internet access
- Students will be responsible for purchasing and installing any non-school installed software updates.
- Students/families will have to purchase printing credit in order to be able to print on SAS printers.
We are extremely proud of the success students have enjoyed through the SAS 1:1 computer program and look forward to transitioning to our “Bring Your Own Macintosh” (BYOM) program starting with the 2014-2015 school year.